Recommendations of Professional Organizations
- World Endometriosis Society and World Endometriosis Research Foundation: Research priorities for endometriosis: recommendations from a global consortium of investigators in endometriosis
Peter A.W. Rogers, BSc, PhD, G. David Adamson, MD, Moamar Al-Jefout, MD, Christian M. Becker, MD, Thomas M. D’Hooghe, MD, PhD, Gerard A. J. Dunselman, Asgerally Fazleabas, PhD, Linda C. Giudice, M, Andrew W. Horne, M. Louise Hull, Lone Hummelshoj, Stacey A. Missmer, ScD, Grant W. Montgomery, PhD, Pamela Stratton, MD, Robert N. Taylor, MD, PhD, Luk Rombauts, Phillipa T. Saunders, Katy Vincent, MBBS, DPhil, and Krina T. Zondervan, DPhil for the WES/WERF Consortium for Research Priorities in Endometriosis.
“The Endometriosis Fertility Index has been validated in 10 additional studies.”
- World Endometriosis Society: Consensus on the classification of endometriosis>/li>
Neil P Johnson, Lone Hummelshoj, G David Adamson, Jorg Kecstein, Hugh Taylor, Mauricio S Abrao, Deborah Bush, Ludwig Kiesel, Rulla Tamimi, Kathy Sharpe-Timms, Luk Rombauts, and Linda C Giudice for The World Endometriosis Society Sao Paulo Consortium.
“The EFI is a simple, robust, and validated clinical tool that predicts fertility outcome for women following surgical staging of endometriosis and may have considerable utility in developing treatment plans for infertile women with endometriosis (strong).”
“An endometriosis classification system for pain and/or quality of life should be developed using a similar methodology to the EFI in order to combine the factors most predictive of these outcomes (strong GPP)”
“Until better classification systems are validated, all women with endometriosis undergoing surgery should have a r-ASRM (or possibly, when published, AAGL) score and stage completed, women with deep endometriosis should have an Enzian classification completed, and women for whom fertility is a future concern should have an EFI score completed, and documented in the medical/surgical notes (strong GPP)”
- Wei DM, Yu Q, Sun AJ, Tian QJ, et al. Relationship between endometriosis fertility index and pregnancies after laparoscopic surgery in endometriosis-associated infertility. Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi. 2011;46(11):806-8.
- Tomassetti C, Geysenbergh B, Meuleman C, Timmerman D, Fieuw S, D’Hooghe T. External validation of the endometriosis fertility index (EFI) staging system for predicting non-ART pregnancy after endometriosis surgery. Hum Reprod. 2012;0(0):1-9.
- Wang W, Li R, Fang T, Huang L, Ouyang N, Wang L, Zhang Q, Yang D. Endometriosis fertility index score may be more accurate for predicting the outcomes of in vitro fertilization than r-AFS classification in women with endometriosis. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2013 Dec 11;11:112.
- Zeng C, Xu JN, Zhou Y, Zhou YF, Zhu SN, Xue Q. Reproductive performance after surgery for endometriosis: predictive value of the revised American Fertility Society classification and the endometriosis fertility index Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2014;77(3):180-5.
- Garavaglia E, Pagliardini L, Tandoi I, Sigismondi C, Viganò P, Ferrari S, Candiani M.External validation of the endometriosis fertility index (EFI) for predicting spontaneous pregnancy after surgery: further considerations on its validity. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2015;79(2):113-8. doi: 10.1159/000366443. Epub 2015 Jan 27.
- Boujenah J, Bonneau C, Hugues JN, Sifer C, Poncelet C. External validation of the Endometriosis Fertility Index in a French population. Fertil Steril. 2015 Jul;104(1):119-23.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2015.03.028. Epub 2015 Apr 29.
- Li, Xin. Consideration of the endometriosis fertility index for predicting fertility after endometriosis surgery and the benefits of IVF. Reproductive Sciences. First Hospital of Beijing.
- Maheux-Lacroix S, Nesbitt-Hawes E, Deans R, Won H, Budden A, Adamson GD, Abbott JA. Endometriosis fertility index (EFI) predicts live births following surgical resection of moderate and severe endometriosis. Accepted for publication. Human Reproduction. August 24, 2017.
- Yacoub A, Ferdinus C, Mourtialon P, et al. Is Endometriosis Fertility Index a good tool to predict pregnancy in patients with surgical documented endometriosis followed by ART management? World Congress Endometriosis, Montpelier, Clinical Free Oral S#10-4. 7 Sept 2011.
- Mendes S, Aguiar A, Barros J, Soares AP, Calhaz-Jorge C. Endometriosis fertility index (EFI) as a predictor of pregnancy after laparoscopic surgery in endometriosis-associated infertility. 12th World Congress on Infertility. Sao Paulo, Brazil. 30th April-3rd May 2014. P-115.
- Jayakrishnan N. Predicting the reproductive outcome in endometriosis – a comparison between EFI and AFS scores. ESHRE. Lisbon, Portugal. June 14-17, 2015. O-123.
- Dogan E, Atlihan U, Dogan BS, Posaci C. Reproductive Outcome and Recurrence Rate of Surgically Treated Endometrioma Patients and Its Relation to Endometriosis Fertility Index. ESHRE. Lisbon, Portugal. June 14-17, 2015. P-778.
- Byungkyoo Park, Sun Suk Kim, Tak Hoo Lee, Jong-Kil Joo, Kyu-Sup Lee. The predictive value of endometriosis fertility index for IVF outcome in women with endometriosis. ACE 2016. P-032.
- Zexuan Wu, Wenjun Wang, Yu Li, Dongzi Yang, Caihua Li, Haiyan Lin, Xuedan jiao, Qingxue Zhang. The impact of the endometriosis fertility index on the IVF/ICSI-ET outcome: A retrospective analysis. ACE 2016. P-034.
- Suguru Odajima, Shin Oonota, Yuta Kasahara, Takuma Satou, Miwa Saitou, Eriko Shiraishi, Keiko Kamoshita, Atsuko katou, Takayuki Haino, Kouhei Sugimoto, Aikou Okamoto. The Endometriosis Fertility Index (EFI) and preoperative FSH are effective choices for the postoperative fertility treatment of endometriosis surgery. ACE 2016. P-040.
- S Maheux-Lacroix, E Nesbitt-Hawes, R Deans, Won H, Budden A, J Abbott. Both natural and assisted reproduction may be predicted following surgical removal of severe endometriosis. International Gynecological Society. University of New South Wales. Sydney, Australia. March 23, 2017.